Apple has released their PodCast Specifications. I note three places where the specifications deviate from their sample, in one case, significantly so.
- Spec: <itunes:explicit> There are 2 possible values for this tag: Yes or No
- Spec: <itunes:duration> The tag is formatted: HH:MM:SS
- Spec: <itunes:image>
<itunes:link rel="image" type="video/jpeg" href="http://www.itunes.com/podcasts/everything/AllAboutEverything.jpg">All About Everything</itunes:link>
- Given the rather constrained set of permissible values for
itunes:category, validation can be a significant value add here.
- I like the way the specification clearly states that a number of elements are not to contain HTML.
- I also note with interest that this specification encourages the use of utf-8. Perhaps a warning is in order if the itunes namespace is encountered and the encoding is other than utf-8.