Microsoft Update

Jeff Barr: it was good to have several projects going simultaneously to make the best of your your time.

Jeff and my experiences are a lot alike.  First, I was in the same geographic area at the same basic time (Greenbelt until summer of 78, Gaithersburg starting summer of 81: in between I completed both my senior year of high school and four years of college).  I did punch cards, both FORTRAN and COBOL, face down, nine edge first, continuation in column 72.  And I learned the same lesson about always wanting to have several projects going at all times, which brings me to the subject at hand...

As promised, Microsoft provided me with a credible offer.

From their perspective, it was generous financially, the position offered represented a half step up professionally, and down the road enabled a significant growth opportunity for me to increase both my influence and compensation, though they were up front that my unwillingness to relocate might ultimately limit that potential somewhat.

From my perspective, what was offered was not only essentially a lateral move, it was one where I would feel like I had to prove myself once again.  Financially, the offer was certainly more than adequate, but do I really want to be exposed to the possibility of a LIFO approach in a future resource action, particularly in the current job market?  (Of course, I’m told that would never happen, and I believe sincerely.  I also remember IBM circa 1993, something that Microsoft has yet to experience).

But the problem is deeper than that.  Some aspects of trying to fit a round peg into a square hole are to be expected.  That’s fine, but at this point in my career, I simply don’t want to be put into any hole.  We talked about getting improved Rails support into Azure.  That certainly sounds like fun.  For a little variety, I could do PHP and Python too.  Of course, I’d be able to do more than that, and over time my job would expand, but initially I would be expected to be focused on a specific area.

Now lets look at what I would be giving up.  My current job and my current manager are ideal for me.  One day I can be talking to a person in Lotus in Boston about XForms.  The next day I could be talking to somebody in Austin about ARIA.  The next day I could be talking to somebody in Raleigh about a licensing issue with a Rational tool.  And if Dalibor continues with his hits and runs, tomorrow I could be very well talking to somebody in Hursley about the JDK.  And that’s just this past week or so.  Next week it could be a completely different set of people.  And if the rumors are correct, I could soon be doing cool cloud stuff with Tim Bray.

And that’s just within IBM.  I’m also involved with Rails, Mozilla, Apache, ECMA, IETF, W3C...  Each of these activities have intersection points within IBM.  Intersection points spanning divisions.  Some of these tasks I could take with me, but in many cases without obvious intersection points at Microsoft.  Furthermore, at least one of those tasks is in question.

This reminds me of a joke.  Transplanting brains is easy.  It’s reattaching brains that is a bit more difficult.

So — while it is not my intent to slam any doors — for now, my expectation is that I am staying at IBM for at least a while longer.

I think you made the right choice.

Location:  Everything happens in Redmond.  The organization is geographically distributed like IBM.  You would be at a disadvantage if you don’t move to the Seattle area.

Hole shape:  No matter what shape of hole that you were promised, you will be expected to fit in the standard Microsoft hole.  I am sure that the people making you an offer mean what they say, but the organization machinery will not care about all of this.

Posted by Former Microsoft at

Well, I have to say I’m a little relieved.  I think you’re doing great work chairing the HTML WG, and I was concerned that that might be disrupted, or at least undermined, if you started working for Microsoft (if only because of perception).  Now we don’t need to choose between you and ChrisW... then again, that leaves only ChrisW advocating SVG at Microsoft. :)

Posted by Doug Schepers at

He’s doing what now? :)

Posted by Jeff Schiller at

IIRC from my rusty FORTRAN-IV, continuation was column 6. Also, the last 8 columns (73-80) were reserved for line numbering, and Computing Center staff advised to print a copy of all significantly sized programs with fresh line numbers. In this way they could use a simple sort job to restore the program would our youth and impetus make us drop the card-box while running up or down the stairs. I can remember distinctly the amazing  number of stair flights at UAM “Facultad de Ciencias”... :)

I tended to have several instances of the same project running in parallel, instead of several project. While this habit improved my parallel thinking abilities significantly, it has not proved so useful in other aspects of life later on...

Posted by Santiago Gala at

Santiago: I changed it to 72, which is what it was in 370 assembler, a language I programmed in through much of the 80s.  I had forgotten about the sequence numbers, that brings back memories of desk sized machines whose sole purpose was to sort card decks that had been dropped.  Ah, good times.

w00t!!!!!!!

Posted by Davanum Srinivas at

I hate to see folks like yourself, who in my mind represent openness and all things good in computer science, be gobbled up by Microsoft.  Microsoft is so closed and out-of-touch that you would be just a trophy for them.

I was a Microsoft .NET developer and technologist for many years, as far back as the .NET beta days.  I because dissatisfied with their way of doing business and keeping their technology so private that I moved away to open source technologies such as Ruby, Rails, Python and others and have not regretted it.  As a computer science major in college the OSS world feels so much more like what I thought of when I was in college practicing to become a computer scientist.  Microsoft just makes CS feel dirty.

I am happy you made a good choice.

Posted by Rob Bazinet at

/shane: Sam Ruby turns down MS; declared non-person

In a stunning move of corporate hubris, a MS spokesperson has declared Sam Ruby is “not a real person“. Could this be retribution for Mr. Ruby’s refusal of their recent job offer, even though “it was generous financially“? Or are consipracy...

Excerpt from Punderings at

You’re rather fortunate to have multiple opportunities.

Congrats. Guess it means both you and Chris Wilson can stay as chairs of the HTML5 working group.

Posted by Shelley at

Sam Ruby: Microsoft Update

We talked about getting improved Rails support into Azure. ちょwww...

Excerpt from yssk22のブックマーク at

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sam Ruby Joins Microsoft

Yep. He wouldn’t . <rolleyes/>...

Excerpt from Comment Feed for Sam Ruby Joins Microsoft (Coffeehouse on Channel 9) at

Re: Sam Ruby Joins Microsoft

From his blog last week: “[My] expectation is that I am staying at IBM for at least a while longer.”...

With the access of Outlook, you can easily access your Comcast email from any of the system having an internet connection. With this you can do many more things to manage your email in an efficient way.

These are some of the important things that you can do with Comcast mailing. There are many other things that you can do with Comcast and to know about these things, you need to connect with Comcast technical support team just by dialing their toll-free number.

Posted by Five things about Comcast mailing at

If you need further assistance regarding the above-mentioned issue or any other problem, feel free to contact Outlook customer support. Their experts are proficient in providing the best possible solution for your varied queries and concerns in regard to the Outlook email program. The Outlook customer support experts are available 24 by 7 via the toll-free phone number, email, and live chat support. All their communication lines are open 24 by 7.

Posted by Outlook Not Responding at

For further assistance, you can reach Yahoo Mail customer support anytime. The experts at Yahoo Mail customer support possess ample experience in resolving Yahoo Mail related issues. To reach Yahoo customer support, you can contact them through their toll-free phone number, email, live-chat support. All their communication lines are open 24 by 7.

Posted by Create and Manage folders in New Yahoo Mail? at

If still, you are unable to recover your desired contacts in your Yahoo Mail account, it is best to seek assistance from Yahoo customer support. The experts of Yahoo customer support are proficient in providing the best possible solution for all Yahoo Mail related issues and queries instantly. The Yahoo customer support experts are available round-the-clock via live chat, email, and toll-free phone number.

Posted by Restore Deleted or Missing Contacts in Yahoo Mail at

If you need further assistance regarding any other Outlook Mail related problem, feel free to get in touch with Outlook customer support. They have an experienced team of experts who are capable of handling all Outlook Mail related issues and queries easily. To reach Outlook customer service experts, you can contact them through their 24 by 7 available email, live chat, and toll-free phone number support.

Posted by How to Setup iCloud Mail on Outlook? at

Have you issues with configure yahoo account key with your mail account now contact us and get Yahoo customer support. They have prudent experts in their team who possess ample information on resolving all sorts of Yahoo Mail related issues and queries. Their experts are available 24 by 7 via email, live chat, and toll-free phone number.

Posted by How to Use Account Key in Yahoo Mail? at

Just be patient and follow the instructions by the expert. By doing what the customer help tells you will see that you have recovered your password. The best part is that, in future if this happens you can do it by yourself. But, even if you cannot learn to it, do not worry. Yahoo helpline number is always on and running. They are never off as the tech support tea works on rotational basis and take turns. They are always fresh and awake to listen to your problems.

Posted by Retrieve yahoo password using alternate email? at

Moreover, astounding highlights and outstanding Yahoo Mail Customer Care administrations, there are technical inconveniences and accidents additionally which clients go over in their mail account. One can dial Yahoo Customer Service Helpline Number for quick support, which helps one in better work and outstanding performance. Every single client can appreciate administrations, numerous multiple times, there comes certain accidents or issues in Yahoo which can hamper their general work, so it’s ideal to take prompt support and help from specialists.

Posted by Contact Email Yahoo Support at

The technical team has been given up by picking our best minds in the industry. The technical associates of Yahoo have wide experience and deep knowledge in all the issues related to Email account and the working of Yahoo. Therefore, you can depend fully and completely on them and the solutions provided by them and get the best solutions. You have to discuss your problem in detail and answer all the questions I asked by the technical associates of Yahoo so that they are able to provide only those solutions which are meant specifically for the problem placed by you.

Posted by Call Yahoo Customer Service at

All these dates are important for candidates preparing for the CAT entrance examination. They are tentative, so candidates should rely on it completely. In order to know the right dates, they should keep visiting the official website of CAT from time to time.

Posted by CAT exam admit card at