Inline vs. Referenced SVG

Jeff Schiller: I’ve admired Sam Ruby’s desire to use inline SVG for his blog - I think his clip art adds visual appeal to his site. I wish I had Sam’s artistic sensibilities/patience (or that slipping into a scotch-induced trance would help). But artistic ability aside, I have been struggling with inline SVG as a concept since then. I thought I’d outline the advantages and disadvantages to inline SVG as I see them.

Thanks!

FYI: my personal “publish” interface has a select dropdown that lets me chose from my ever growing pallet of icons and incorporates then into the page in a way that allows resizing.

Resizing and syndication are two other advantages.  I’m particularly concerned about syndicating <object> tags from a perspective of safety.

I suspected you had a much nicer interface for this.

Also, thanks for reminding me about the resizing thing - however, wouldn’t this also work if you applied style="width:6.25em; height:6.25em; float:right" to the object element that referenced SVG?  I should do a test one of these days.

Jeff

Posted by Jeff Schiller at

wouldn’t this also work if ...

See here. It was the original treatment of SVG included in the <object> element that inspired the same trick for inline SVG.

Posted by Jacques Distler at

Your unicode-han.svg seems broken...

Firefox says:
XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: [link]
Line Number 1, Column 46:<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" right" viewBox="0 250 400 150">
---------------------------------------------^
(Uh, the arrow is pointing to the " at the end of the ‘right"’.)

Posted by Blake Winton at

Your unicode-han.svg seems broken

Fixed.  Thanks!

Sam Ruby: Inline vs. Referenced SVG

[link]...

Excerpt from del.icio.us/tag/svg at

When I first looked at SVG, I tried to incorporate it into a page via the IMG tag. When that didn’t work I got upset and I haven’t returned  to it since.

I’d quite like to serve up either SVG or a crude server-rendition of it as PNG according to the browser’s Accept headers.

Posted by Jon at

Thanks a lot, Sam.  In an effort to add some pretty SVG to my weblog, I managed to change the times on all the posts to the current time.  :P

More seriously, the SVG in my weblog and yours doesn’t seem to show up in Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) on OSX Intel 10.4.9.

Have you done any testing on that platform?

Thanks,
Blake.

Posted by Blake Winton at

Works for me on MacOSX 10.4.9(PPC). (Well, OK, I didn’t see any SVG on your blog, but those on Sam’s and mine seem OK.)

Posted by Jacques Distler at

Safari 3.0 Beta (522.11) likes your inline SVG, Sam. :)

Posted by d.w. at

Inline SVG

Sam Ruby puts inline SVG on his blog. SVG is a language for describing scalable vector graphics. Browsers that understand SVG can render the graphics directly rather than downloading a rater-based image with another HTTP GET. Because its tags, you...

Excerpt from Phil Windley's Technometria at

Hi Sam, your SVGs look pretty cool!
Did  you license them ? The ying and yang one particularly looks cool.

Posted by Antoine at

Phil Windley - BYU: Inline SVG

Excerpt from Planet Identity at

Antoine: you are welcome to use them in any manner you like.  Rip, mix and burn!

Hi,

Who is right?
[link]

Are the comments ignored or not?

Posted by Hector Torvisque at

Hector, see this.

Posted by Jeff Schiller at

Inline vs. Referenced SVG: Best of Both Worlds?

Sam had a good thought over at Erik’s blog. In the past, I’ve mostly been on the side of referenced SVG for clip art - but he raises a good point. I’ve just stated to use clip art on my blog. I use it for a variety of reasons: to...

Excerpt from Something Witty Goes Here at

Price and time Effective: Though it may sound insane, wearing a onesie can actually save a lot of time and money for the user. Trying to learn a matching pair of sleepwear, especially when you are sleeping with a special someone, can be a challenge. onesie pajamas for adults

Posted by Merck SEO at

This is exceptionally valuable, in spite of the fact that it will be essential to help just snap that website page connect: ankara

Posted by S E O Experts at

I comprehend this section. I understand You put an a large number of battle to establish this story. I appreciate your procedure. vuelos baratos

Posted by Merck SEO at

I no doubt valuing every single piece of it. It is an unfathomable site and not too bad grant. I have to thankful. Awesome work! All of you complete a mind blowing blog, and have some unprecedented substance. Continue doing wonderful. VIP Financing Solutions Reviews

Posted by Merck SEO at

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really understand what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Please also talk over with my web site =). We may have a link change arrangement between us!

Posted by sign in hotmail at

Saturam is one of the top data cleansing companies in USA. It offers data cleaning pipeline through its flagship dataops platform called Piperr. AI ready data

Posted by S E O Experts at

I am overpowered by your post with such a pleasant theme. Generally I visit your sites and get refreshed through the data you incorporate yet the present blog would be the most calculable. Well done! HVAC Consumer Financing

Posted by Merck SEO at

we can offer quote by phone or emails but should tour property require a visit we will send a team member to give you a free comprehensive quotation. roof gutter cleaning london

Posted by Merck SEO at

Shocking learning and I seize the opportunity to bestow this kind of information to my mates and desire they like it they why I do.. 토토

Posted by robinjack at

This post is really magnificent. I really like this post. It is one of the best posts that I ve read in a long time. Thanks a lot for this really good post. I really appreciate it! gutter replacement

Posted by Adilkhatri at