IBM Blogroll

Michael O’Connell: I am glad to see this new IBM-wide blogroll, and continue to be impressed by IBM’s adoption of blogs, as well as podcasts and other communications tools.

Some feedback:

Perhaps somebody could come up with a “IBM” theme/stylesheet for the site?  Also, if there is a more central location that this should be hosted, I’ll gladly redirect this traffic there.

Update: I was able to snarf a theme.

So what’s the Atom-ish answer to OPML (which IMHO is even more busted than RSS)?

-Charlie

Posted by Charlie Wood at

Hey Charlie, FOAF or XHTML can both be used instead of OPML but I’m not sure trying to supplant OPML is really a battle worth fighting.

Posted by James Snell at

Interestingly...if you check the source, there is an OPML file,

[link]

Posted by Rooney at

One of the most interesting aspects of the IE vs. Firefox battle is the development of the ecosystem of extensions or add-ons. It’s not just about bugs and features. Right now Firefox had a great advantage in this space but you can see Microsoft trying to catch up.

Microsoft has an interesting partner in Trailfire, a recommended download for IE7. See link:
[link]

But this extension is also available for Firefox. See link:

I think the ecosystem for Firefox and IE will decide who wins this battle. What do you think?

Posted by JR at

I missed the OPML the first time around.  I don’t have a problem with OPML when used for subscription lists (I do believe it is oversold as the solution to other problems).  What I do have a problem with is OPML for subscription lists is how it is practiced.

This OPML is not valid, nor even well formed.  More significantly, it places feed description data into the text and title attributes instead of description attribute as spec'ed.

The autodiscovery link doesn’t even follow the recommendation of the (draft) specification (see note 8).

At the moment, I’m more likely to get better results by screen scraping.

I’m not too big on blogrolls.  OPML for me is just a way to get my list of feeds from one reader to another.  But I sure do like the way that Planet aggregates all of those feeds into one.  That’s something that really should be done more often.  For my information consuming purposes, that is Atom’s answer to OPML.

Posted by Scott Johnson at

Here’s a list of the few podcasts that come out of IBM:

[link]

I’m not sure if it’s complete yet..

Posted by Peter at

Peter, by any chance could that list be made available in a format that I don’t have to scrape?

what’s the Atom-ish answer to OPML

That would be XBEL; cf. Uche Ogbuji. Unfortunately, while the format enjoys wide support on the Linux desktop, adoption as a feed list exchange format is nil – a shame, really.

Posted by Aristotle Pagaltzis at

The [link] is an official IBM site. I’m not sure that this planet is, and therefore should it be wrapped in a template that makes it appear to be ibm.com?

The reason why some bloggers are excluded is that it is “opt-in” from an IBM perspective, i.e. we are supposed to register our sites for inclusion. Some bloggers have chosen not to do so.

Posted by andyp at

Andy: I’d very much like to see this hosted on an ‘official’ site.  I have code.  I have templates.  I’ve already said that once that happens, I will redirect all traffic there.

I want to make it as easy as possible for this to be done.  Who do I talk to to make this happen?

As to opt-in, as soon as I found out about this, I filled out the form.  Since then, the site has not been updated, and I’ve heard nothing.  I also doubt that Anant registered the wrong weblog and that others who have not been active since the beginning of the year have both registered and been approved.

Come on IBM, Up Your blog Game, Its time to get busy with OPML

Sam Ruby: IBM Blogroll I have been wondering why IBM has been so slow to jump on the OPML bandwagon. If you’re at IBM and don’t know why you should be excited by it then go read Alex Barnett’s blog....... [more]

Trackback from James Governor's MonkChips

IBM blogroll followup: a "planet"

Yesterday Sam Ruby posted this interesting blog entry with a bit of feedback about the new IBM blogroll. It garnered some good comments as well ... worth a look. Of particular note is Sam’s “planet” (a concept developerWorks has covered on...

Excerpt from Michael O'Connell at

hmmm ... guess I need to figure out how to ‘opt-in’.  Strange that I’m not auto-magically opted-in by hosting my blog AT developerWorks.

Maybe it’s my shoes.  Or the fact that I’m not listed in any of the blog lists on the dWorks site.  IBM’s stealth blogger!

Posted by Patrick Mueller at

IBMers can ‘opt-in’ by registering your blog at an internal site. When the registration has been approved your blog will appear on the IBM Blogroll.

Posted by Per Henrik Lausten at

curl -s --head http://www.ibm.com/blogs/zz/en/index.html | grep -i modified
last-modified = Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:14:45 GMT

Sam Ruby: IBM Blogroll

Some notes, suggestions, questions on the ‘IBM-wide’ blogroll....

Excerpt from del.icio.us/pmuellr/blogroll at

Getting Acquainted with OPML

Amy Belinger and O'Reilly Media have released a new 'Short Cuts' - Getting Acquainted with... [more]

Trackback from alexbarnett.net blog

Getting Acquainted with OPML

Amy Belinger and O’Reilly Media have released a new 'Short Cuts' - Getting Acquainted with OPML.As its title suggests, it is a great starter if you want get going with OPML...Congrats Amy!"You’ve put off...

Excerpt from alexbarnett.net blog at

Sam Ruby is right.... again

Sam Ruby asks, "Shouldn’t a blogroll be available in OPML, or FOAF or XOXO or something?"More and more bloggers are making that realization lately. Pat Phelan and Tom Raftery are the latest to have have replaced/supplemented their blogrolls with...

Excerpt from EirePreneur at

These pages have been taken down at the request of the IBM SWG Web Review Board.

I suppose you’re not at liberty to disclose the reason for that request? After all, it’s not like the blogroll itself or the stuff posted on the weblogs listed is confidential – therefore anyone interested could reconstruct a Planet IBM-Bloggers.

Posted by Aristotle Pagaltzis at

I got a laundry list ranging from doing IBM business on a non-IBM site, to branding issues, to not having prior approval from IBM Communications.

I tried to discuss it, simply to be told “no exceptions”.

I suspect the key issue was the IBM look and feel; I could have changed that and pursued the other issues further (I’m not known for giving up easily) but given that the source was quite obviously both stale and incomplete from the moment it went out — and has never been updated since (see curl command above) — I simply saw no point.

Update:

curl -s --head http://www.ibm.com/blogs/zz/en/index.html | grep -i modified

Last-Modified: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:22:52 GMT

And I now appear to be there; and appropriately enough, my tagline is listed as “It�s just data”.

IBM blogroll followup: a "planet"

Yesterday Sam Ruby posted this interesting blog entry with a bit of feedback about the new IBM blogroll. It garnered some good comments as well ... worth a look. Of particular note is Sam’s “ planet ” (a concept developerWorks has covered on...

Excerpt from Michael O'Connell at

IBM blogroll followup: a "planet"

Excerpt from Michael O'Connell at