Two Browsers

I’ve made some progress getting my recent slide show to display on IE.  For the moment, I’m not focusing on presentational aspects, like rounded corners and the absurdly wide gutter that IE puts between the title and content.  That will come later.

The reason why I am doing this is that I have been experimenting with presentation styles for years, and I am finally feel like I am getting closer to something that fits my style.  Ultimately, I will likely produce a stylesheet designed explicitly for a fixed 1024x768 display, and use images for rounded corners.  As well as produce a script that automates the portions I did manually.

Anyway, the point of this post is to document a few of the obstacles I have encountered, and capture what I have done so far.

Terminating Scripts

It may be XHTML (still served as text/html at the moment, even to browsers that support XHTML), but the following doesn’t work with IE:

<script src="pager.js" type="text/javascript" />

Instead, the reference to the script must be done this way:

<script src="pager.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Dangling Arrays

Consider the following:

var data = ['foo', 'bar', 'baz', ]

With Firefox, you get three elements.  With IE, there is an additional fourth element with a value of undefined.

Replacing styles

With Firefox, you can replace the innerHTML for a <style> element, and thus affect the presentation of multiple elements on the page.  With both IE6 and IE7, this results in an “Unknown Runtime Error”.  See this demonstration.

The alternative is to update each of the individual style attributes on each element separately.

getAttribute

Finding the element with a given class value is made a bit more challenging with IE as getAttribute("class") doesn’t seem to return this value.  Apparently that the most portable approach is to iterate over all the attributes.

For those keeping track, what once was finding a single element and replacing its innerHTML has become:

var span = document.getElementsByTagName('span');
for (var j=0; j<span.length; j++) {
  for (var k=0; k<span[j].attributes.length; k++) {
    if (span[j].attributes.item(k).nodeName == 'class') {
      if (span[j].attributes.item(k).nodeValue == instructions[i]) {
        span[j].style[instructions[i+1]] = instructions[i+2];
      }
    }
  }
}

Making things go away... and come back

CSS is interpreted differently between the two browsers.  Marking something as visibility: hidden doesn’t necessarily collapse the space that the text would have taken.  To really make it go away, adding width: 1px; position: absolute; overflow: hidden gets the job done.  Making it come back, and in the right place, in both browsers, one also needs to set display: inline.

setTimeout vs XHTML

An unsolved problem to date is that the Javascript function setTimeout does not work as expected when the DOCTYPE is XHTML.  I haven’t managed to find a solution to this just yet.  A similar problem was reported here.

delays

As near as I can tell, Firefox updates the display in the background, so setTimeout is effective immediately. IE, by contrast, does’t seems to wait until the page is updated before it starts the timer. The net effect is one where IE appears to significantly underperform Firefox.

Which means, for the browsers that receive it, it isn’t XHTML but just HTML with some funny extra slashes. The XHTML appendix C guidelines say not to use the minimized form for element whose content model is not EMPTY.

It’s a bit weird that Firefox supports these type of unclosed script elements in HTML-parsing mode. Opera 9 introduces support for it as well, to be compatible with Firefox. Your slide slow worked reasonably well in Opera 9, as long as I didn’t try to go ‘back’. Using OperaShow (for example with the OSF or S5 format) would work even better of course.

Posted by Rijk at

“Finding the element with a given class value is made a bit more challenging with IE as getAttribute("class") doesn’t seem to return this value.”

Would there be some problem with using the “span[j].className” syntax?

Posted by Antone Roundy at

Did you try passing a function reference to the setTimeout()? (Instead of a string)

Posted by Mark Wubben at

Replacing styles is a very bad idea. A better alternative is to switch the className on a surrounding element, like the body.

.good h1 {color: green}
.bad h1 {color: red}
Posted by Sjoerd Visscher at

For hiding/showing elements: I’ve always found that { visibility: hidden; display: none; } will do the trick across the board, with the added bonus you don’t need to play with other properties.

Posted by James Shiell at

display:none should be enough. As far as I can tell the distinction between visibility:hidden and display:none is that with visibility:hidden the element is there but you cannot see it, with display:none the element (and any that it contains) isn’t there at all and therefor doesn’t claim any space.

Posted by Peter van Kampen at

From CSS 2.1 section 11.2:

The ‘visibility’ property specifies whether the boxes generated by an element are rendered. Invisible boxes still affect layout (set the ‘display’ property to ‘none’ to suppress box generation altogether).

So if Firefox is in fact collapsing boxes with visibility: hidden; it’s a pretty major bug. However I don’t see that; on a few tests, the browsers appear to me to behave identically.

As far as getAttribute('class') is concerned, IE thinks it’s called className as it makes no distinction between an attribute and a property. Using element.className works cross-browser; alternatively you can use:

var elementClass = element.getAttribute("class");
elementClass = elementClass ? elementClass : element.getAttribute("className");

Iterating over all the attributes is really a sledgehammer to crack a nut, particularly given that IE’s attributes collection has an entry for every possible attribute, whether it’s in the source or not.

Posted by Nick Fitzsimons at

Thanks to everybody’s help so far!

I now have learned a lot about the block model of CSS, and have everything working with FF 1.0.7 (I have an issue with FF 1.5!), and functional (but less pretty) with IE.

I still have more work to do to enable serving this as application/xhtml+xml to browsers that support it.

Given an empty instance of an element whose content model is not EMPTY  (for example, an empty title or paragraph) do not use the minimized form (e.g. use <p> </p> and not <p />).

XHTML™ 1.0: Element Minimization and Empty Element Content.

This is why you should not use <script />. :)

Posted by Federico at

Sam Ruby has a nice post on the cross-browser obstacles he’s recently encountered. The first two are exactly the problems I had with getting Quisition working on IE. The very first one had me stumped for ages even though it’s dead simple (following...

Excerpt from James Tauber's Blog at

Sam Ruby: Two Browsers

[link]...

Excerpt from del.icio.us/wearehugh at

Visit [link] - it documents some more similar issues ....

Posted by Wonderstruck at

Sam Ruby: Two Browsers

wearehugh : Sam Ruby: Two Browsers Tags : compatibility firefox html ie javascript markup mozilla presentation xhtml...

Excerpt from HotLinks - Level 1 at