Aggregator i18n tests

Here is a simple set of tests for verifying that an aggregator properly handles various combinations of international characters and character references.  The desired result is that the title of every entry should be displayed as Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn.

This is not meant to be comprehensive, in particular, it focuses only on one encoding (utf-8, which is guaranteed to be supported by any conformant XML parser), and doesn't do mode base64.

Universal Feed Parser 3.0fc2 already passes.

Bloglines appears to fail on: entity escape + hex [text/html] and entity escape + decimal [text/html]

Posted by Mark Finkle at

FeedDemon 1.10 passes all of these.

Posted by Nick Bradbury at

NetNewsWire passes the first 4, fails the rest.

Posted by Jacques Distler at

Newzcrawler passes all of 'em.

Posted by Roger Benningfield at

I am looking for a news aggregator that will remain fully able to read all my feeds even after dropping in new code.
Hope that made some sense? Sorry, my english is not so good.

Posted by John Racle at

Damn ! I'm still writing my own aggregator and i'm not already supporting Atom. So i passed the feed into the Atom2rss of 2RSS.com and then I subscribe to the RSS 2.0 generated feed. And ... it's working. Wow, will I success with parsing directly the Atom feed ?

Posted by Nicolas JAUMOTTE at

Tests 6, 10 and 13 look different to the expected value in SharpReader v 0.9.4.0.

Posted by Martin Naughton at

NewsGator passes all tests.

Posted by Patrick at

I'm running SharpReader 0.9.4.1, and they all look fine.

Posted by Robert Lowe at

RSS Reader (latest version) for Mozilla Firefox passes.

Posted by Henri Sivonen at

Sam,
Is there a central location for ATOM tests? I'm finding it hard to keep track of the various tests on Mark Pilgrim's server and on your machine. At the very least is there a wiki page pointing out where all the tests you've done so far are?

PS: All titles look fine in RSS Bandit.

Posted by Dare Obasanjo at

That's the most constructive idea I've heard all day.  Here you go: [link]

Aggregator utf-16 tests

I've converted  yesterday's utf-8 tests to utf-16 (technically utf-16le, complete with the approrpriate BOM).  For those that want to play along with RSS, there also are RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, and RSS 2.0 + Atom versions.... [more]

Trackback from Sam Ruby

PulpFiction 1.0 passes tests 1-5 and 8-14, but fails 6 and 7.

Shrook 2.0.5 passes all tests except 5 and 9.

When viewing this feed in a browser,

Firefox fails 6, 7, 10, 11, 13 and 14
IE fails 6, 10 and 13

SharpReader passes all tests.

Martin: I assume you just opened the link itself in SharpReader's mini-browser, which uses IE's rendering and therefore fails 6, 10 and 13. If you open it as a feed in SharpReader you'll see it all renders correctly (btw I did not actually try this test-feed in #R 0.9.4.0, but this part of the #R codebase has not changed in ages)

Posted by Luke Hutteman at

All titles appear correctly for me in SharpReader 0.9.4.0.

Hi,

unlike I'm missing something, browsers rendering the feed using XML+CSS have no chance to properly handle mode="escaped" (maybe that should tell us something about the sanity of that concept :-).

Posted by Julian Reschke at

Certainly should. The only question is, which concept should "that" refer to?

Posted by Phil Ringnalda at

My Agenda: Really Simple

Now that I've accomplished something tangible as a member of the RSS Advisory Board -- when the history books are written, let this serve as notice that Rogers Cadenhead authored the RSS 2.0 example file -- I think it's time to reveal my hidden...

Excerpt from Workbench at

My Agenda: Really Simple

Excerpt from Rogers Cadenhead: Radio Userland at

UTF-8 and Web Site Development

This post will contain some tips on how to set up your web development process to use UTF-8 end to end. What happened was, I saw a pair of posts by Sam Ruby (Unicode and weblogs, Aggregator i18n tests). I can be a bit of a careful (read: slow)...

Excerpt from Robert Hahn: inspired by integration at

MSN Blogs

I would share Charles's concern.  On the plus side, I'm pleased to see utf-8 used consistently throughout (in both the content and the HTTP headers, and in both the html and feed).  I'm also delighted to see feed  autodiscovery being used. If you have... [more]

Trackback from Sam Ruby

Weird Atom feeds wanted

I’ve been rewriting the Atom parser in NetNewsWire 2.0—and I just got it to pass the internationalization tests Sam Ruby posted earlier this year. The screen shot looks funny, but it’s actually an indication that the tests passed. I’m looking for...

Excerpt from inessential.com at